Happy Valley, North Carolina[dropcap letter=”S”]ituated on a knoll in the heart of Happy Valley, North Carolina, the Chapel of Rest recalls a simpler time when parishoners lined the pews in their Sunday best. Made possible by a gift from Samuel Legerwood Patterson, the Chapel was built in 1887, and originally served as the chapel for the Patterson School for Boys. In 1922, a new chapel was built on campus, and the Chapel of Rest fell into disrepair. A preservation society was created in 1984 to maintain the historical integrity of the Chapel and its building and grounds. The 100-year-old Gothic structure overlooks the Yadkin River, and its cemetery contains burials beginning around 1856. It is the final resting place of General Collette Leventhorpe, a well-known soldier of eastern North Carolina during the Civil War.
Open to the public during daylight hours, the Chapel of Rest is a place to pause, meditate and enjoy an extended view of the beautiful Happy Valley. Special events such as Easter Eve, Thanksgiving Eve and Christmas Eve services are presented at 4:00 in the afternoon. Concerts are presented each spring and fall in the acoustically perfect sanctuary.
Photography courtesy of Ken Thomas